Saturday, June 20, 2015

SOSM II, Please


This is a quick post that doubles as my entry to the Super Online Sewing Match that's on over at Sew Mama Sew.  Their first bout was a couple of years ago, which I watched from the sidelines: I was sure I could never sew like that.  I was surprised at how inspired I was by each contestant!  Such great talent and so much growth with each challenge.


Here I am 2 years later.  I'm barely getting back into garment sewing.  Just these last two months, I've made Sam's graduation dress, a wrap skirt for me (haven't blogged about it yet, but I'm wearing it!) and my Esme top for this month's ALOYF.  I'm enjoying the process especially now that I feel my skills have just about caught up to my sense of style.

My main goal with garment sewing is for people to see me in a new outfit and say, "Wow, where did you get that?"  as opposed to, "Nice, Heather, did you make that yourself?"  I want to be able to make clothes that fit well, have a professionally finished feel and will last.

Thanks to my quilting and bag making the last couple of years, I'm really a lot more comfortable with visualizing how projects should come together, understanding how components fit and where I can (or can't) personalize a pattern.


First up is Samantha's graduation dress.  I adjusted the pattern so that the bodice was one size larger than the skirt and tapered down to the skirt.  This was the first time I installed an invisible zipper, and I love the way it looks.


Here is my Esme Top.  I actually just finished this a couple of weeks ago now, even though I've had the pattern and fabric set aside for almost 2 years.  This peasant-style top is so comfortable.  I love the gathering around the bodice and the understated shell buttons.


Next is my messenger-style Temple bag.  This is definitely the largest bag I've made to-date and I still LOVE it!  The quilted front panel and multitude of pockets make me so happy =)



My final entry piece is my Triple-Zip Pouch.  I made this for an online swap early last year.  I enlarged the original and pieced/quilted most of the body of the bag before I assembled it.  Because of the swap guidelines, I did't stray too far from the original, but I definitely like this larger size much better than the original.


I can't wait to see what this year's SOSM challenges bring!

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!