Tuesday, July 1, 2014

ALOYF July Goal


This month is a month of travel.  I get to spend some time with family and in the great outdoors, so this month is all about some handwork.  Last year one of my B-I-G goals was to learn to hand piece.  I planned 12 sampler blocks to get myself going and bought a traditional pioneer-woman-looking fat 1/8th bundle.  I even got them mostly cut out and bundled together.  I bought Jinny Beyer's Quiltmaking by Hand (which is an awesome reference book.)  And then I was paralyzed by fear because could it really be that s.i.m.p.l.e.?

Why, yes, it is!  I finally took a hand piecing class back in February from my LQS and I'm so glad I did!  I love that I can have a small kit to take with me just about anywhere.  I can now finish about 1/2 block in an hour or so of down time.  I've made sample blocks and even the templates for a larger project that I promised myself I'd put off until I finished this first sampler.


I kind of had to do that because I realized that I really don't like the traditional fabrics I chose for the sampler. Oh, well.  I like brighter, more modern fabrics.  Definitely.  But I don't want to waste, so I'll finish what I started.  Earlier this year I finished the first two blocks.


And I'm currently half-way through my 3rd one.


So ... my July goal is to finish 3 more blocks for the sampler quilt so that I'll be half-way done with the blocks.


Linked up here as #33.

1 comment:

  1. Pat Edwards used to do hand work on a quilt when Robin was in high school and she was waiting for the Pom squad to get out of practice. She made Heidi a magnificent cathedral window quilt. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!