Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tipsy Tutorials: Heart Table Topper

Here is a little project that I threw together from one Moda charm pack.  I've seen several projects from other crafty designers that are so cute, but none of the shops here in town do charm packs.  I went out on a limb and ordered 2 charm packs and one jelly roll from CrazyQuiltGirl Fabric Shop.  Charm packs are basically a stack of about 42 pre-cut 5-inch squares. The jelly roll is strips of fabrics rolled up together.

Here is the video I put together while sewing the project.  It is the largest project I have machine quilted to-date and the first using my free-motion foot instead of just straight stitches.  As a result, its a bit rough around the edges, but I really like it.  Hope you do, too.  (I assume a basic knowledge of piecing techniques; if you need more info. just let me know)

Supplies:
1.  Moda Charm Pack (I used Always & Forever by Deb Strain)
2.  Quilter's ruler, self-healing cutting mat & rotary cutters
3.  Coordinating thread
4.  3/4 to 1 yard fabric for backing
5.  batting
6.  approx. 9 yards bias binding (I use single fold)

Instructions:
1.  Choose 25 squares for the center of your quilt topper.  Lay them out in a 5x5 pattern.  Stitch squares together into 5 rows using a 1/4" seam.  Be sure to press all the seams either open or in one direction--alternating the direction of each row.  Then sew the rows together to form the center piece.  Press all seams either open or toward the top.
2.  Cut the remaining charm squares into six 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" rectangles.  (You will have two small pieces left over; just discard them.)  Make sure you cut carefully.  You'll need all but one of these rectangles for the border.  Lay them out as desired and sew together into two rows of 23 rectangles and two rows of 27 rectangles.  Press seams as before.
3.  Sew the shorter rows to the top and bottom of your center piece, right sides together.  You will probably want to pin to hold the border pieces in place; the scrappy rectangles are a bit springy even after pressed.  Press seams toward center of project.  Sew the longer rows to the two sides the same way, making sure to go to the edges of the other two border rows.  Press seams to center of the project.
4.  Create your quilt sandwich and quilt as desired.  I used single-fold bias tape around the edges of mine to finish it off.  I also like to wash and dry it before I set it out because I like the puffy, well-used look the quilting creates.  Voila--cute, festive table decoration!
The Idea Room         
Tip Junkie handmade projects     Fun Stuff Fridays

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I saw you on Tater Tots and Jello. Would you please be willing to share this fabulous post with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting mats self healing
    Very Good Post.
    Decent gen nowadays.
    Cheers for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!